Please Come Worship God With Us!
I was glad when they said to me, "Let us go into the house of the LORD." Psalm 122:1
VISITORS ARE WELCOME HERE!
Thanks for your interest in the Kingston Springs church! Sometimes people hesitate to visit a church unless they know what the worship services will be like when they go. At Kingston Springs church, adults and children are treated with both courtesy and kindness. You are our honored guests. It is our goal to help you feel relaxed and comfortable while worshiping the great and glorious God of heaven and earth.
We hope this simple outline will help you know what to expect when you visit us. We are a loving and warmly open family of Christians, and we'd truly be honored to have you join us in worship to our God and Creator!
WHO WE ARE
- It is our purpose to be identified with the Christians of the first century. We believe this to be possible to all who will learn, believe and be guided by the plain teaching of God’s word. When Jesus declared such to be “the seed of the kingdom” (Luke 8:11), He was emphasizing that the word of God, when planted in the hearts of honest people, and obeyed, will produce Christians just as it did in the first century - nothing more and nothing less.
- It is our sincere desire to be non-denominational. Neither are we inter-denominational. We wear no other name than Christ’s and are known simply as Christians, members of the body of Christ. (Acts 11:26; Ephesians 1:22-23). Collectively we refer to ourselves as the church of Christ, the Lord’s church, and with only scriptural descriptions to identify ourselves as saved souls who belong to Jesus Christ (Ephesians 5:23).
- We have no man-made creeds to follow; rather, we are governed in faith and conduct by the Bible alone. While recognizing the guiding principles of the Old Testament, we seek to conform to the pattern of the New Testament (Hebrews 1:1-2; 1 Peter 4:11). We accept the Bible as being both verbally inspired and infallible in content (2 Peter 1:20-21; 1 Corinthians 2:11-13). Consequently, when the Bible speaks upon any given subject, its pronouncement is accepted as final. By its own testimony, no one may alter a single word with impunity (Deuteronomy 4:2; Proverbs 30:6; Revelation 22:18-19).
- There is no man, or committee, who legislates for the church. We have no one to answer to except Christ our Lord. He is the head of the church (Colossians 1:18). There is no human head. As was true in the first century, there is no inter-congregational organization. Congregations in different locations, with Christ as Lord, function independently of each other. According to the authority of Christ, when a church matures to the point where two or more men meet the qualifications, overseers (also called bishops, elders, and pastors) are appointed to look after all the affairs of the local church. Such men are appointed when they meet all the qualifications given in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9. They then have the responsibility to “feed the flock” with spiritual food found in the scriptures, and to be examples for others (1 Peter 5:1-3). In churches of Christ, preachers are ministers, not “pastors” (unless they meet the qualifications cited above), but are simply friendly and caring teachers of the gospel.
- We strive for unity among all who obediently respond to the doctrine and commandments given in the New Testament. Such is in harmony with the prayer of Jesus, and the pleadings of the apostles (John 17:20-21; 1 Corinthians 1:10; Ephesians 4:1-6). We consider such unity to be possible, or Jesus would not have prayed for it. Since division has always been the result of departure from God’s pattern, we believe division can be healed by a return to the revealed truth of God’s word.
WHAT WE DO
We love to worship God!
- We sing songs of praise to Him. Our full assembly combines voices in singing every hymn we offer to God. In this way the entire congregation participates in every song (Colossians 3:16-17, Ephesians 5:19-20). We sing a cappella as taught in the Bible and just as the early Christians did in their assemblies.
- We pray to Him. Each prayer is led by one man but involves the entire congregation. Our prayers involve praise and honor to God, thanksgiving to Him for our many blessings, repentance and requests for forgiveness, and petitions to Him for help with trials, illnesses, and other challenges of life.We encourage and uplift each other.
- We study the Bible together, and we enjoy hearing lessons from the scriptures. Our lessons and sermons are designed to teach God’s word so as to uplift hearts, comfort minds, and encourage obedience by those who listen. We make no claim for sensationalism - instead we love and embrace faithful Bible teaching and study.
- We take Communion together to remember the sacrifice of Christ on the cross. We celebrate the Lord’s supper as early Christians did, each Sunday, according to the example in Acts 20:7.
- We give as we've been prospered each first day of the week (1 Corinthians 16:1-2). This is the responsibility of the members, not our guests.
We do our best to devote our lives to Christ each day.
SOME THINGS WE DON’T DO
We do not ignore or disrespect visitors, or ask you for money. We do not confront or embarrass people. We will not insult your intelligence or waste your time – we recognize that God wrote the Bible for all people, and so all people can understand the Bible. You will not be made to feel out of place in any way. When you visit, do not expect pure entertainment such as bands, dance groups, shows, or similar events. Do not expect to hear representatives of political, social, or cultural groups. Most of us are interested in those things, but not when we assemble to worship God. Our worship is simple and dignified, like the first churches described in the New Testament.
A FELLOWSHIP THAT SETS US APART
Christians are to interact and worship in a loving spirit that is a sign to the world (1 Corinthians 13). We know that God loves each of us, and we are trying to be just like Him. We hope that you will decide to come worship with us, and share this spirit with us today!